[alsa-devel] [alsa-cvslog] alsa-kernel: Official ALSA project GIT repository for Linux 2.6 branch, master now at v2.6.31-rc8-407-gfc9e4a3

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Wed Oct 7 08:31:14 CEST 2009

http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-kernel.git;a=commitdiff;h=fc9e4a3811567f8d1d4c263a89e27b52c90d6098

> By "moving" you mean removing them or will there appear somewhere else?

Changing the interface from MIXER to PCM means that the controls will
not appear in most mixer applications.

> > Honza, are you still using this driver?
>
> Yes I do (there is a different driver for this codec?).

No, it's just rather old.
I hoped you'd be using newer hardware by now.  ;-)

> And I _will_ be regarding it as regression if I lose possibility to
> change volume of the four streams independently.
> On the other hand, I do change the volume only manually (not
> automatically by program), so if only thing which changes is the way how
> to modify that volume I would not see problem in that.

With the new controls, the only way to change them would be on the
command line:
  amixer cset iface=PCM,name="PCM Playback Volume",subdevice=x yy

BTW: How do you determine which of the four controls is associated with
a specific application?

In any case, the main purpose of the patch was to rename the controls to
prevent "alsactl restore" from restoring the old wrong volume setting,
so it would suffice to just change the controls' name in some way, such
as from "VIA DXS" to "DXS".

Best regards,
Clemens