[alsa-devel] Bug report, multichannel LPCM over nvidia HDMI not working

Chris Howells chris+alsa at chrishowells.co.uk
Mon Oct 5 21:12:06 CEST 2009

Hi,

I am trying to get multi-channel LPCM working over HDMI, from an Acer
Revo (Nvidia Ion) to a Sony STR-DH800 amp. 2 channel LPCM is working
perfectly, as is bitstreaming AC3 and DTS (with xbmc). The latest I've
tried is with kernel 2.6.31.1.

I am testing with speaker-test. I have found that:

'speaker-test -D hdmi -c2' works perfect. The amp lights up show 2
channel LPCM. Sound is from the front left and front right.
http://chrishowells.co.uk/speakertest2ch.jpg

'speaker-test -D hdmi -c6' or (-c8) does not work. The amp realises that
there is some PCM sounds, but the amp does not seem to recognise the
stream properly, *however*, sound does come out of the left and right.
http://chrishowells.co.uk/speakertest6ch.jpg

The version of speaker-test is from Alsa 1.0.20.

Here's the results of running alsa-info.sh

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=d90ca1ce07bf20af3241114b11fb31f79ed63fec

The 'Misc = NO_PRESENCE' struck me as being a bit odd.

The Revo has been upgraded to the A2 bios (didn't work with A1 either),
and the Nvidia drivers are 190.32. I've spent quite a few days trying to
get this work, including alsa 1.0.20 and 1.0.21 on ubuntu 9.04 with and
without the 8ch patch, Ubuntu karmic beta standard, as well as patching
alsa 1.0.20 it with the 8ch patch.

Most grateful for any help.