[alsa-devel] Xonar Essence ST (PCI) on 2.6.32-rc8-00011-ga8a8a66: no analog audio, SPDIF fine

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Mon Nov 23 10:18:29 CET 2009

Tony Vroon wrote:
> After the success of the Xonar D2X in my system, I decided to upgrade to
> an Essence ST (of the PCI variety, no D6 daughterboard). Unfortunately
> it seems that it produces no audio for me over the headphone port (the
> reason I bought this card) or the front-panel headphone port.
>
> # cat /proc/asound/ST/cmi8788
> 60: 19 01 00 09 19 01 00 09 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
            ^^^^^
The first ST driver did not work.  This will be fixed in ALSA 1.0.22
or in the 2.6.33 kernel; try the daily snapshot:
http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/alsa/alsa-driver/

> I'm wondering if the Essence ST driver was written based on an a ST+D6
> engineering sample as mine is the ST (no D6) retail box. Is it possible
> that the hardware is different?

The base board of the ST and ST+H6 are identical.  However, I wrote the
driver without any hardware at all, so I overlooked the CS2000 chip
which needs to be initialized.

HTH
Clemens