[alsa-devel] PC Beep or PC Speaker or just Beep? and HDA Beep code...

Jaroslav Kysela perex at perex.cz
Tue Nov 3 15:55:23 CET 2009

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009, Takashi Iwai wrote:

>>  	I think that the original purpose of PC Speaker is a beep
>> generator. Also, many SoC platforms use AC97 codecs, so removing
>> abbreviation PC might make sense. It would be probably best to change all
>> control names in drivers to 'Beep'. Comments?
>
> Yes, I agree to rename all to Beep.  The word "PC Speaker" has been
> always confusing.

Patch is here:

http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-kernel.git;a=commitdiff;h=d2f1919956dbabd17afbc3a236b758f49f6c0658

I only don't know details about MAC (ppc) drivers. The "PC Speaker"
controls are for beep generator or for full featured build-in internal
speakers? I would propose to use "Internal Speaker" name for full featured
outputs.

 					Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex at perex.cz>