[alsa-devel] PC Beep or PC Speaker or just Beep? and HDA Beep code...

Jaroslav Kysela perex at perex.cz
Tue Nov 3 15:55:23 CET 2009

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009, Takashi Iwai wrote:

>>  	I think that the original purpose of PC Speaker is a beep
>> generator. Also, many SoC platforms use AC97 codecs, so removing
>> abbreviation PC might make sense. It would be probably best to change all
>> control names in drivers to 'Beep'. Comments?
> Yes, I agree to rename all to Beep.  The word "PC Speaker" has been
> always confusing.

Patch is here:

I only don't know details about MAC (ppc) drivers. The "PC Speaker"
controls are for beep generator or for full featured build-in internal
speakers? I would propose to use "Internal Speaker" name for full featured

Jaroslav Kysela <perex at perex.cz>
Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
ALSA Project, Red Hat, Inc.