[alsa-devel] spdif/iec958 outputs at VT1708S not recognized

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed May 27 18:51:06 CEST 2009

At Wed, 27 May 2009 12:35:49 -0400,
Sentinel wrote:

> Yeah it didn't work.
>
> I am lost and generally I can find the answers quickly.  I cant use the
> "kernel" alsa due to the spdif out and for some reason those undefined
> messages just wont go away.  I looked into the kernel source and they both
> do exist in sound core.  I can't imagine what could be wrong.

If it's really an ALSA module (not soundcore), it's often because you
didn't unload some old modules before loading a new one.

Also, if the old modules are also update modules located in
/lib/modules/$VERSION/update or so, then the old modules will still
win over the newly installed one in
/lib/modules/$VERSION/kernel/sound/*.  IIRC, Ubuntu or some others
install the update modules there.  In such a case, you'll need to
specify the installation path explicitly via configure option, too.

If it's the sound core, you need to make sure that this is really
built in, either into the kernel or as a module.  And, the kernel tree
really points to the version you are running.  There are symbols to be
referred, so it's not only the source you need to build external
modules.

At best, you should consult on user forum (or such) for your own
distro, since this topic is really distro-specific.

Takashi