[alsa-devel] spdif/iec958 outputs at VT1708S not recognized

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed May 27 07:35:12 CEST 2009

At Tue, 26 May 2009 22:57:31 -0400,
Sentinel wrote:

> Okay I figured out my own problem.
>

> This is specific to those who run 64bit OS.
>

> for anyone who is getting register_sound_special_device error when
> attempting to compile ALSA, on a 64 bit OS make sure your running your
> configure properly.  Most likely your distro has ALSA libraries located in
> the /usr/lib64 path not in /usr/lib and most likely the ld.so.conf is set to
> look in /usr/lib64 before it searches /usr/lib which is the default for  the
> configure script.  As a warning I'd not try to change that order especially
> if you have built any 32bit compatibility drivers into /usr/lib

I guess you are looking at a wrong place.
The fix must be coincident :)

Basically alsa-driver (and kernel) compilation doesn't use any
user-space library, so libpath is irrelevant.  The only important
location is the kernel source tree and its build stub.  If these
aren't set up properly, such an error (version mismatch or so) may
happen.

Note that sound_register_special() and co aren't defined in the ALSA
driver, but it's defined in sound_core.c in the kernel.