[alsa-devel] Regarding Sound on Acer Aspire 6935G

Karthik Ramgopal applefreakpeeps at gmail.com
Mon May 18 04:52:44 CEST 2009

Yes I did try model=acer-aspire-4930g. That gives me even lesser
functionality than model=auto (Surround volume can no longer be used to
adjust line-out volume) I think the 4930G uses a ALC888 and the
6935/6920/8920/8930 use a ALC889 (0x10ec0889) codec. Any way of obtaining
the verbs from the Windows driver?

Some more info (obtained by generally trying out verbs)

0x15 SET_EAPD_BTLENABLE 2 and 0x14 SET_EAPD_BTLENABLE 2 are both needed to
get the amps fired

0x14 SET_CONNECT_SEL 0x00 connects the laptop speakers and disconnects
line-out
0x14 SET_CONNECT_SEL 0x01 connects the line-out but laptop speakers continue
to function

0x15 SET_CONNECT_SEL 0x00 connects the laptop speakers and disconnects the
subwoofer
0x14 SET_CONNECT_SEL 0x01 connects the subwoofer but laptop speakers
continue to function
0x15 SET_PIN_WIDGET_CONTROL 0x00 turns off the line-out
0x15 SET_PIN_WIDGET_CONTROL 0x40 turns on the line-out but laptop-speakers
stay on
0x15 SET_PIN_WIDGET_CONTROL 0xc0 Same as above but line-out volume is much
higher

0x0c SET_AMP_GAIN_MUTE 0x7080 (Mutes all channels)
0x0c SET_AMP_GAIN_MUTE 0x7000 (Un-mutes all channels)

The Realtek Linux driver had one ALC889 model entry for the M90V ALC889
codec with model param as asus-dig. I tried that out. With that headphone
jack sensing worked in the sense that as soon as a headphone was plugged in,
the subwoofer turned off, though the front speakers were still on. I did get
line-out volume though, it was very feeble. The internal mic still did not
work and nor did an external one.

Regards,
Karthik