[alsa-devel] Testers wanted: New SB X-Fi driver

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu May 14 12:52:17 CEST 2009

Hi,

after some communications with Creative, I finally got a mergeable
version of their X-Fi driver.  It's not my crappy hack but by genuine
Creative :)

The patch is now merged into sound-unstable GIT tree topic/ctxfi
branch:
  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound-unstable-2.6.git

The corresponding alsa-driver snapshot tarball is:
  ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/alsa-driver-unstable-snapshot.tar.gz

The driver module is named as snd-ctxfi.

I tested only the driver builds with recent kernels, but unfortunately
I have no test hardware now, so it'd be helpful if anyone can test
it with a real hardware.

Note that the ctxfi driver might conflict with the HD-audio driver.
So it'd be nice if you save the output of lspci before loading the
drivers and let me know if any problem happens.  Also, at testing,
please check the kernel message.  If this conflict really happens, try
to build without hd-audio, that is, run configure with
--with-cards=ctxfi option in addition to others, and test whether it
works with this workaround (better after reboot to reset the board
info by BIOS).

Once after I get positive feedbacks (or fix after negative ones), I'm
going to merge it to the main tree so that it'll be in the next
kernel.  So, a quick test report would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,