[alsa-devel] WM9712 - Big and little endian format conversion.

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Wed May 13 23:44:39 CEST 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 02:20:46PM -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Jon Smirl <jonsmirl at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Adding S32_BE works for me:

> > #define SND_SOC_STD_AC97_FMTS (SNDRV_PCM_FMTBIT_S16_LE |\
> > ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? SNDRV_PCM_FMTBIT_S32_LE |\
> > ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? SNDRV_PCM_FMTBIT_S32_BE)

> Would it work to just put every format here and let the format be
> controlled by the platform and CPU DAI?

Not quite - there's a bunch of things like the S/PDIF stuff which will
almost certainly not do anything constructive in one of the generic AC97
slots without the CODEC and/or CPU doing magic to them.  Also note that
the core now fixes up CODEC formats on registration so both _BE and _LE
variants always get set if one is set.  That means that for preference
I'd use the _LE variants here since it's what all the existing CODEC
drivers are doing.

We should probably also squash all the 20 and 24 bit variants together,
I need to go and check that there's nothing that'll get confused by
that.