[alsa-devel] DMA over run on playback

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Wed May 13 19:37:03 CEST 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Jon Smirl <jonsmirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
>> At Wed, 13 May 2009 09:38:50 -0400,
>> Jon Smirl wrote:

>>> Who is going to dynamically measure the scheduling latency of the
>>> kernel and compute the correct buffer size for the low level driver?
>>> You can't expect every app to do that.

>>> By that definition networking is a real time task too, but it's not.
>>>
>>> Playing MP3s is not a real-time task. The buffering system between the
>>> app and ALSA's DMA system is not properly communicating feedback and
>>> that's what is causing the problem.  Networking has a correct feedback
>>> look and doesn't get into trouble. ALSA's buffering system isn't
>>> flexible enough to hide these big scheduling latencies without losing
>>> data.
>>
>> It's not about flexibility.  The current audio system itself is
>> flexible enough to solve the problem you mentioned.  But you just need
>> to do everything by yourself.  A car with manual gears is as flexible
>> as a car with automatic gears from the performance POV, but a driver
>> needs more work to run it smoothly.
>>
>> Also, the automation isn't the best thing.  For example, think about
>> automatic resizing the buffer and restarting the stream: do you really
>> want this for the system like JACK?  No...
>
> The automation I proposed would only kick in on a kernel with poor
> latencies. You could write a message into the log saying that buffer
> sizes were increase due to latency problems.
>
> This would also be a clear message to anyone running Jack that their
> kernel was not performing adequately. On a good, low latency kernel
> these mechanisms would never trigger.

BTW, logging messages saying that audio buffer sizes were increased
due to poor kernel latency would be a good way of providing incentive
to fix these latency problems. This would make it clear to more people
that this was the cause of their audio being garbled (instead of some
other cause).

You don't want this logic in an app, it needs to be in the kernel. You
want the kernel to remember the longest observed latency. You don't
want each app to have to rediscover this value.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com