[alsa-devel] appl_ptr and DMA overrun at end of stream

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Mon May 11 18:28:48 CEST 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 11:58 AM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
> At Mon, 11 May 2009 11:50:22 -0400,
> Jon Smirl wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:

>> > Not really.  When the mmap mode is used, the update isn't always
>> > notified to the driver and the transfer can be completely
>> > asynchronous.
>>
>> This seems to me to be a broken design. ALSA is being put into the
>> position of guessing when the application has supplied new data.
>> Shouldn't the app be required to make a commit() call after filling in
>> the data? Without commit it is impossible to detect over/underrun.
>
> The commit updates the mmapped control data (so that it works even
> without the context switch) if the architecture supports.  In other
> cases, a commit issues an explicit sync ioctl.
>
> Actually it should be possible to disable the mmap-control mode
> explicitly, but right now it's not done from the driver side but only
> checks the architecture.

Shared memory is another solution that doesn't involve context switches.

The app can update it's valid pointer in shared memory.
My IRQ will call snd_pcm_period_elapsed().
snd_pcm_period_elapsed() can find the updated valid pointer,
  convert it to a physical address and leave it in a shared structure.
When snd_pcm_period_elapsed() returns, my IRQ can get to
  the pointer and submit the necessary buffers.

What's missing is an official way of accessing
s->runtime->control->appl_ptr from the low level driver.  We're
implementing a ring buffer. In a ring buffer I have to know where both
pointers are in order to detect over/under run. I also don't
understand why this is specific to my hardware, every DMA
implementation should need these two pointers.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com