[alsa-devel] patch to support Samsung NC10 mini notebook

Chris Pockele chris.pockele.f1 at gmail.com
Sun May 10 21:21:33 CEST 2009

Hello,

The attached file is a patch to support the sound hardware in the
Samsung NC10 mini notebook.
The Samsung NC10 is and Intel Atom-based notebook with Realtek ALC272
HDA codecs.
Sound is supported partly in Linux depending on ALSA version, but
there were always some issues (wrong mixer behaviour, PC beep always
muted, ...). This patch tries to solve most of these issues.
I updated the patch so it would work using the alsa-driver-20090509
snapshot from ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/
(originally developed from alsa-driver-20090416 snapshot).

Fixes:
 - mute internal speaker / microphone when plugging in external
headphone / microphone
 - stereo capture from external microphone
 - separate volume controls for headphone and internal speakers +
"Master" for both
 - "PC Beep" mixer control
 - "Mic boost" and "External mic boost" controls
 - ...

A few issues remaining:
 - Recording PCM output does not work yet. It works on the version of
Windows that comes with the NC10.
 - When choosing recording source "Internal Mic" while an external
microphone is plugged in, the internal microphone will be used instead
of the external one, as it should. However, when plugging in the
external microphone after choosing the recording source setting, it
WILL override the internal microphone.

When replying, please note I am not on list.

Regards,
Chris
http://users.skynet.be/chrisp/linux/