[alsa-devel] audio mixing

Gabriel Johnson johnsoga at gmail.com
Wed May 6 15:56:15 CEST 2009

I am using alsa libs to mix audio alerts in my application.  I am
using the aplay code as an example.  I am playing two audio files, one
that is 5sec and one that is a beep, from two different threads.  The
thread that plays the beep loops and plays it every second.  I am
playing the two audio files through the same snd_pcm_t handle.  When
the 5sec audio file finishes I then the pcm gets into an xrun state.
Instead of using the same handle for all audio should I just associate
one handle per audio file?  Is there something else I can do to make
the pcm handle more stable when playing multiple audio files?