[alsa-devel] Too big adjustment messages on hda-intel with ALC883

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon May 4 09:14:58 CEST 2009

At Fri, 01 May 2009 13:57:59 +0300,
Ozan Çağlayan wrote:

> When I launch pulseaudio, a bunch of the following line is dropped to dmesg:
>
> [ 1472.847085] ALSA ../../alsa-kernel/pci/hda/hda_intel.c:1102: Too big
> adjustment 32
> [ 1472.998865] hda-intel: IRQ timing workaround is activated for card
> #1. Suggest a bigger bdl_pos_adj.

Well, it basically means that your hardware is flaky.
The driver tries some workaround for the buggy hardwares, but it
didn't help in your case.

> alsa-info output is at:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=fd7037731d908e4287e1d457de6a1483062b2130
>
> I'm using 2.6.30_rc3 with:
>   - 20090421 snapshot of alsa-driver,
>   - 20090410 snapshot of alsa-lib.
>
> Pulseaudio version is 0.9.15, timer-based scheduling is enabled.

Try to disable timer-based scheduling.  The timer-based scheduling
requires the frequent inquiries of the DMA position, and your hardware
is buggy about it.