[alsa-devel] SoC pxa2xx-ac97 + wm9705 + touchscreen suspend/resume

Mark Brown broonie at sirena.org.uk
Tue Mar 31 12:30:48 CEST 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:37:20PM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

> 1. when suspend occurs, we turn the AC97 link off by setting the
> GCR_ACLINK_OFF bit, and stopping the functional units clock.

> Setting GCR to '2' (to release cold reset) using devmem2 starts things
> moving again, shutting up this warning.

Hrm, I suspect this is a result of the second issue.

> 2. maybe as a result of the above problem, the wm9705 touchscreen
> driver doesn't reinitialize, causing loss of touchscreen.  Unbinding
> and re-binding the driver restores the touchscreen, but with a very
> long lag between touching the screen and it being registered.

> I bring (2) up because I notice that the resume actions in (1) are
> deferred.  Given that codecs have shared functions (such as
> touchscreens) need to access the codec from their own resume
> functions, how can this deferral be safe?

Other multi-function devices shouldn't have this problem since they
will not be relying on ASoC to resume their control interface (most
likely they will be using MFD to share the device).  It's not safe for
AC97 devices, though.

We only really need the deferral for non-AC97 devices - it's there since
some I2C buses are very slow and non-AC97 codecs often have large
numbers of registers to restore and require delays to bring the codec up
cleanly leading to a substantial impact on overall resume time.

Could you let me know if the patch below works, please?  I've not fully
tested it myself yet.