[alsa-devel] Regression? Default card no longer shows up

Susan Cragin susancragin at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 28 15:04:38 CET 2009

I have been compiling the development alsa-drivers because I use an X-fi card. They have worked great up until today.
I use Ubuntu Studio. I installed it clean this morning, with default options.
Then I purged pulseaudio (because pulseaudio does not work with wine)
re-booted.
compiled and installed alsa-driver
re-booted
set-default-card to Generic

asoundconf list shows the following
Names of available sound cards:
Intel
Generic (this of course is my X-fi card)

tried to run Audacity.
Audacity only recognizes the Intel card.

Installed wine.
Wine shows the following:

alsa-driver
MIDI Out Devices: Midi Through Port-0
MIDI In Devices: Midi Through Port-0
Mixer Devices:
     HDA Intel
     HDA-Audio Generic

This may be a Ubuntu bug, but I wanted to run it by you first.

Susan Cragin