[alsa-devel] CA0106 mic not working, logs attached

Steven Edwards cureadvocate at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 01:52:54 CET 2009

Dear ALSA,

I installed Ubuntu 8.10 yesterday, updating ALSA to 1.0.19 to mute my
speakers when the headset is plugged in.  I unchecked the mute below the
Microphone slider, maximized the volume, clicked Close.  Sound Recorder
detected nothing, so I returned to Volume Control->Recording and noticed
that Microphone stayed checked.  Repeat x3, same results.

I then tried the PulseAudio setup outlined by markbuntu at:

That failed, so I tried soundrecorder's ALSA upgrade script at:

This (sudo bash ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.x-rev-1.16.sh -di) killed all sound and
aplay -l detected no sound cards.  Restore (sudo bash ./
AlsaUpgrade-1.0.x-rev-1.16.sh -r) didn't restore my speakers, so I ran
alsa-info.sh:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=5a408b2a5328279dbac25a54ce34f6ae707e7cf6

Next, retrying the update script didn't restore my speakers either.
alsa-info.sh:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=bd33dc839806cd151e21bdfe4c32bf02a0a9aa57

Finally, (sudo ./configure && sudo make && sudo make install) restored my
speakers' ability to output sound, but the mic still isn't recording sound.
The original problem--Volume Recorder not accepting/remembering/allowing my
unmuted Microphone--remains.  alsa-info.sh:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=5e4bcbc453960ece52e3bf21fb475c768b50f979

I don't know where to go next.  I hope the reports help and that you will be
able to help me.

Best,

Steven