[alsa-devel] Acer Ferrari 5000

Russ Dill russ.dill at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 17:40:46 CET 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
> At Mon, 23 Mar 2009 09:27:24 -0700,
> Russ Dill wrote:
>>
>> I'm testing with the acer-aspire quirk set, and things seem to be
>> working rather well. The headphone plug/unplug detection and speaker
>> muting actually work :) However, I'm still not getting HDMI audio
>> working. I'm not that familiar with IEC958, how should I have the
>> switches set? I currently have both IEC958 and IEC958 Default PCM on.
>> I've tried with mplayer -ao alsa:device=iec958 <mp3 file>
>
> Basically it should be OK.  I guess it's rather an issue of the video
> driver side.  If the video driver doesn't support HDMI audio output,
> it doesn't work, of course.

[ Working on testing patch... ]

The audio does work over HDMI though, Vista has better support for
connecting to HDTV and getting the video modes right, so I was
watching a DVD. Out of curiosity, I checked a box in the audio
configuration for digital output, and sound started coming out of the
TV.

I'll boot into Vista in a while to try to find out which device driver
is doing which thing, but I'm fairly certain its the base audio
driver.