[alsa-devel] Acer Ferrari 5000

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Mar 23 15:57:16 CET 2009

At Mon, 23 Mar 2009 07:42:25 -0700,
Russ Dill wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 6:40 AM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
> > At Mon, 23 Mar 2009 06:36:06 -0700,
> > Russ Dill wrote:

> >> ok, but the "azx_get_response timeout" ones seem to be as audio
> >> glitches when the occur.
> >
> > Does it happen with model=auto?  The driver doesn't work without that
> > option, as I mentioned.

> >> I'm currently using whatever comes in 2.6.28 with ubuntu. I'll try out
> >> the git tree.
> >
> > Bah, that's way too old to debug...

> >> no such device exists with model=auto (or without setting model).
> >
> > Yes, too old version :)

> >> It was attached to the previous email
> >
> > Ah, overlooked.  Thanks.
> >
> > But better the one from the latest driver...
> >

> > Takashi
> >

> OK, I've bolted your master branch in your git tree onto my kernel:
>
> [10580.958816] HDA Intel 0000:00:14.2: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level,
> low) -> IRQ 16
> [10581.101270] input: HDA Digital PCBeep as
> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/input/input8
>
> My mixer controls are very similar to what I got before, except now
> Front controls both the front speakers, and the headphones. Plugging
> in and unplugging the headphone jack still has no effect.

See below.

> There is also a "Beep" control now.

It's a new feature in the new version.

> There is still no PCM device labled hdmi, and outputting to iec958
> device doesn't get me any audio output via HDMI.

Right, it's apparently not set by BIOS, so the driver can't detect
it.

How is the HDMI connected?  Is it from the graphic chip/board
or any other route?  In the latter case, an HDMI transmitter (codec)
is connected to the main audio controller, typically in the 4th slot
(codec#3).  In the former case, it usually appears as an individual
PCI device.

If the SPDIF digital device is supposed to be HDMI, then it's a bug of
BIOS.  In that case, using "iec958" is the right choice.

Anyway, you could build the driver with --with-debug=verbose configure
option and try to pass probe_mask=0x1ff.  This will force to probe
all codec slots.  See kernel messages.

> I can still get:
>

> [11025.533020] hda_intel: azx_get_response timeout, switching to
> polling mode: last cmd=0x106f000a
> [11026.537063] hda_intel: azx_get_response timeout, switching to
> single_cmd mode: last cmd=0x106f000a

Hm.  Judging from alsa-info output, the verb looks correct, it's PCM
parameter inquiry against the widget 0x06.  So, your hardware is
really flaky.  What happens if you add
	codec->bus->needs_damn_long_delay = 1;
in patch_realtek.c:patch_alc883() ?

> [11027.813799] hda-intel: IRQ timing workaround is activated for card
> #0. Suggest a bigger bdl_pos_adj.

This should be the side-effect of the codec communication error above.

> while playing audio.

> I've attached the associated alsa-info.txt
> 	control.4 {
> 		comment.access 'read write'
> 		comment.type BOOLEAN
> 		comment.count 2