[alsa-devel] Acer Ferrari 5000

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Mar 23 13:51:45 CET 2009

At Mon, 23 Mar 2009 04:54:34 -0700,
Russ Dill wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 3:54 AM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
> > At Sat, 21 Mar 2009 22:23:15 -0700,
> > Russ Dill wrote:
> >>
> >> GIven the recent changes in gnome land (pulseaudio), I'd like to be
> >> able to get alsa support for my hardware fixed up. My biggest
> >> annoyance right now is that when I plug headphones in, it doesn't mute
> >> the speakers. Another issue I have is that I'd like to have support
> >> for audio out on HDMI (which is supported by Vista). On with the show.
> >
> > Try the later version of alsa-driver or kernel, and pass model=auto.
> > As default model=acer is chosen for ALC883 with Acer vendor SSID,
> > and it's known that it doesn't match with the recent Acer laptops
> > at all.  The BIOS auto-parsing mode would work better recently.
>
> I still get dmesg errors (audio does play though):
>
> [229513.339812] hda-intel: Invalid position buffer, using LPIB read
> method instead.
> [229513.436583] hda-intel: IRQ timing workaround is activated for card
> #0. Suggest a bigger bdl_pos_adj.

These are no errors.  You can ignore for now.
Which alsa-driver are you using now?  At best, try the latest
alsa-driver snapshot from
    ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/alsa-driver-snapshot.tar.gz
or the sound git tree at
    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound-2.6.git

> The Center mixer control now controls my left laptop speaker and the
> LFE mixer control controls the right speaker. The Surround control
> that used to control the laptop speakers now does nothing.
>
> Attempting to MUTE the LFE channel, the audio skipped a bit and I got:
>
> [229698.556044] hda_intel: azx_get_response timeout, switching to
> polling mode: last cmd=0x10db0001
> [229699.561017] hda_intel: azx_get_response timeout, switching to
> single_cmd mode: last cmd=0x10db0001
>
> My system just hung (likely due to wireless drivers) and I rebooted
> and with model=auto again, the mixer controls are different. There is
> no LFE or Center controls, but there is an added Headphone volume
> control (which does nothing). Front controls the headphone volume,
> nothing controls the speaker volume.
>
> I've been unable to hear digital output (mplayer -ao alsa:device=iec958).

The device is likely not "iec958" but "hdmi".

> My laptop has an internal microphone, two internal speakers, a
> headphone jack, a mic in jack, a line in jack, and digital audio out
> via hdmi.

And alsa-info output?  Use model=auto from now on.
The default model (acer) doesn't work obviously for your laptop.