[alsa-devel] trouble using dmix with tts systems (accessibility )

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Mar 23 11:07:15 CET 2009

At Fri, 20 Mar 2009 09:28:02 +0000 (UTC),
Halim Sahin wrote:

> hello,
>
> I have asked this question to alsa user list but got no useful answer.
>
> I am a blind linux user and need asistive Technology to use my pc.
> The problem I have experienced with alsa is that it is sometimes too slow to stop
> previous output before starting a new one.
> The result of this ends in several speech outputs at a time.
> The problem only occurs if the dmix plugin is used.

Could you elaborate how the previous output is stopped, and how the
next sample is started?  Are they different processes, open/close
sequences, or snd_pcm_drop() / prepare / re-start, or what?

It'd be best if you could show a small test-case program to reproduce
the problem...

thanks,