[alsa-devel] Bugs on aspire one A150

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Mar 17 13:52:07 CET 2009

At Tue, 17 Mar 2009 13:30:12 +0200,
Maxim Levitsky wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 08:57 +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Tue, 17 Mar 2009 02:52:19 +0200,
> > Maxim Levitsky wrote:

> > > What about exposing the i-mic as a mono only device to userspace?
> > > It is mono after all?
> >
> > No, it's a mic-array.  And HD-audio cannot handle a mono stream.
> No problem.
> Lets just lie to usespace that it is mono, in kernel driver can pick one
> of channels?

No, the hardware provides only the stereo streams, so the driver,
too.

The downmixing is the job of the user-space.  For example, try the
patch to alsa-lib I sent in my previous post.

> Maybe this is an array, but this doesn't explain the 'quality' of it.
> It is so low (in windows too).

Properly using the mic-array would reduce the noise fairly well.
XP has no mic-array support, IIRC.

Of course, it's possible that Aspire* have badly equipped mic
arrays that don't help much noise suppression...