[alsa-devel] DELL SP2309W Monitor with Integrated microphone

Jason Holmes jason at exonerated.net
Tue Mar 17 10:24:29 CET 2009

Hi all,
I have a Dell SP2309W monitor which contains an integrated webcam and
microphones.  I have been unable to get the integrated microphones to record
any sound.  I ran utils_alsa-info.sh and the link with the results in posted
below:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=590e122a466ce09cd1f911ba7146a87df2b5cbeb
The integrated microphone seems to be made by OmniVision Technologies.
The results of running arecord -l are:
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: CONEXANT Analog [CONEXANT Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Webcam [Monitor Webcam], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 2: default [USB Sound Device        ], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
and the results of arecord --device=default:CARD=Webcam test  are:
ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:866:(snd1_pcm_direct_initialize_slave)
snd_pcm_hw_params_any failed
ALSA lib pcm_dsnoop.c:604:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to initialize slave
arecord: main:590: audio open error: Invalid argument

Thanks for your help.
--
Jason Holmes