[alsa-devel] Audio problems with HP DV7-1025nr

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Mar 13 12:07:49 CET 2009

At Wed, 25 Feb 2009 08:39:33 -0800 (PST),
Jonathan Scruggs wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have tried many things to try to get my sound card to work, but no
>  luck. At first with the when I started alsamixer, it would say that
>  I have a generic sound card. My laptop has two audio interfaces: a
>  nVidia HDMI and an IDT High Definition Codec. I read this mailing
>  list and saw that many people had issues with the HP's version of
>  the IDT sound card. Then someone added patches to fix an issue with
>  DV4. The fixes were in the latest snapshots, so I did some
>  searching and pulled the alsa sources from here:
>  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound-2.6.git
>  since I am using the 2.6.28 kernel. I went through the code and
>  confirmed that it was updated to what I saw in the patches and the
>  patches were not compatible with the kernel source I have, hence I
>  was looking for something more compatible. More specifically, the
>  kernel I have is "2.6.28-gentoo-r2 #5 SMP Wed Feb 25 15:37:22 GMT
>  2009 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz
>  Genuine Intel GNU/Linux". With a little bit of work, I merged in
>  the new alsa source with that kernel and recompiled. Things are
>  detected a bit better, like now alsamixer is saying that I have the
>  chip "Nvidia MCP78 HDMI" instead of a Generic one. However, this is
>  not the chip I want. I want to output to my speakers and headphone
>  ports. I tried setting the option "model=hp-dv5" and then
>  "model=hp-dv7" but that does nothing. I have absolutely no sound at
>  all out of my speakers or headphone port. The drivers for this
>  soundcard are on the HP website if you need them.

[Please fold lines appropriately when pointing to ML...]

Could you try the latest sound git tree?  If it still doesn't work,
run alsa-info.sh with --no-upload and attach the generated file.
The script is found at
    http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh

Note that there is no model value "hp-dv7".  The only relevant one
is "hp-dv5".

thanks,