[alsa-devel] Intel HDA volume low

Daniel Stodden dns at somacoma.net
Sun Mar 8 12:23:26 CET 2009

Hi.

I've got a Lenovo Thinkpad T400 with snd_hda_intel:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 03)
Subsystem: Lenovo Device 20f2

I think this is the same chip which recently quirks entries to work
around docking issues on the Thinkpad x200.

The codec is identified as a conexant CX20561 (Hermosa).

Running Ubuntu 8.10 with 2.6.27, the Volume is extremely low. Quality
seems okay, but setting Master and PCM outputs to 100% is barely
audible. There's a bunch of similar reports on the Internet. I could not
find any workaround but Window users usually report the volume should be
fine.

I tried 2.6.28 but to no avail. Will verify against latest git.

Could someone help me fix this? I don't actually know much about the
hardware in question, but would also willing to poke a little around in
patch_conexant.c, if that could help identifying the issue. Provided
someone someone around here has advice on what to try out.

Cheers,
Daniell