[alsa-devel] Problem compiling soc - imx31 and wm8753

Liam Girdwood lrg at kernel.org
Wed Mar 11 23:34:53 CET 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 21:53 +0000, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 02:08:44PM -0300, Marcelo Utikawa da Fonseca wrote:
>
> > The i.MX31 Freescale's BSP does not have asoc support, just an interface
> > for MC13783 (a Power Management IC from Freescale with integrated audio
> > interface).
> > The wolfsonmicro's tree is the only one that have support to asoc but it
> > does not compiles using the mentioned steps.
> > Am I missing something or may be these drivers broken?
>
> As I say, the drivers rely on code in the Freescale BSP; you may not
> have the lastest Freescale BSP.  There is some code here:
>
> 	git://opensource.wolfsonmicro.com/linux-2.6-audioplus imx31
>
> but note that this uses ASoC v2 so will definitely require some porting
> of the WM8731 driver unless the copy there is already up to date.  That
> tree is entirely focused on supporting the WM835x (an audio+PMIC device
> comprable to the Atlas which is shipped by default) with the i.MX31ADS.

I'd also like to add that this was only a API/build testing driver. I
never actually had any real wm8753 + i.MX31 to hardware test against. I
just wanted to confirm the API fitted well here and I could build some
code.

I would do as Mark suggested and use the Freescale BSP. Easiest option.

Alternatively, if you have some time - have a look at mainline i.MX31
support and port the SDMA and SSI drivers from the Wolfson tree to it.
Not too much work for audio but you will also need to port other
required subsystems from the ancient kernel version in the Freescale BSP
to your current kernel which *will* eat into your project time.

Liam