[alsa-devel] Testers wanted: New SB X-Fi driver

Matthias Diehl mdiehl.os at gmx.de
Tue Jun 30 19:55:44 CEST 2009

> At Tue, 30 Jun 2009 16:10:45 +0200,
> Matthias Diehl wrote:
> >
> > hi,
> >
> > i guess you dont speak german, do you? well, i'll try it in
> english ;-)
> >
> > i tried to install your newest x-fi "hack" in ubuntu 9.04 64bit.
> it's an x-fi extreme music. i downloaded this snapshot:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/alsa-driver-unstable-snapshot.tar.gz

> Use alsa-driver-snapshot.tar.gz instead of the unstable one.
>
> > while the installation process there are some warnings. after
> replacing the demon.conf and reboot there was no sound.
> >
> > then i noticed the sentence "Note that the ctxfi driver might
> conflict with the HD-audio driver" in the description. i think my
> problem is the hdmi soundchip from my graphics adapter (sapphire
> radeon hd 4870) which was automatically installed at the
> ubuntu-installation
> ("hda intel sound").
>
> You are likely looking at irrelevant things.
>
> There are several variants of X-Fi boards. Many of them are equipped
> with emu20k1 or emu20k2 chip. Some of these models can behave as
> HD-audio compatible, too. These are supported by snd-ctxfi driver.
>
> In addition, there is X-Fi models that are without emu20k1/emu20k2
> chips. Some of them (CA0110-IBG) behave only as a HD-audio device,
> and some others are with CA0106 chip. The former is supported by
> snd-hda-intel driver and the latter by snd-ca0106 driver.
>
> So, they cannot be deactivated. The only question is whether you have
> emu20k1/emu20k2 chip on your board. And this can be checked when you
> load snd-ctxfi driver. If the driver is properly loaded and the
> card instance is created (see /proc/asound/cards), then it's good.
> Otherwise, your board is no such one. You need other drivers.
>
> Please ask further questions on alsa-devel ML (you can add me to Cc,
> though) so that other people with your board can advice better.
>

> HTH,
>
> Takashi

hi there,

i now tried to install the stable version, but i have still no sound.
here's what lspci | grep audio says:
01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc HD48x0 audio
05:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB X-Fi

lsmod | grep snd says:
snd_hda_intel         557492  1
snd_pcm_oss            52352  0
snd_mixer_oss          24960  2 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                99336  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_dummy          11524  0
snd_seq_oss            41984  0
snd_seq_midi           15744  0
snd_rawmidi            33920  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event     16512  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq                66272  6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer              34064  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device         16276  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd                    78792  9 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore              16800  2 snd
snd_page_alloc         18704  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

cat /proc/asound/cards says:
 0 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
                      HDA ATI HDMI at 0xf7dfc000 irq 17

i hope, someone can help me ...
greetings from germany,
matthias