[alsa-devel] Problems with snd-hda-intel and Asus M2NPV-VM. Please help!

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Jun 30 21:36:13 CEST 2009

At Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:30:25 -0700,
VDR User wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 2:35 AM, Takashi Iwai<tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
> > At Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:28:24 -0700,
> > VDR User wrote:

> >> Thanks for your reply!  I have downloaded the link, compiled, and
> >> installed.  Results are the same, spdif is not working.
> >
> > How did you play via SPDIF exactly?
> > Doesn't the following work (even without model option)?
> >
> >        % aplay -Dplug:spdif some-48k-samples.wav
>
> I have tried that exact command and also using -Dplug:iec958, without
> success.  I tried both as user and using sudo from console and console
> with x loaded.  Also with/without the model option and position_fix=1
> option.

The position_fix doesn't matter unless you get a DMA transfer problem.

>  Is it possible the revision of the MCP51 I have is not
> supported (yet)?  Please let me know anything further I can do to help
> figure this out.

Well, the question is rather how the hardware is implemented.
The SPDIF and HDMI implementation depends pretty much on the hardware.
For example, HDMI has to be activated by a video driver (e.g. X) even
for the audio transfer.

So, if the codec registers look good, I can't say more than that.
Only hardware vendors could advise...