[alsa-devel] Problems with snd-hda-intel on hp 6930p (2.6.30)

Rafael J. Wysocki rjw at sisk.pl
Tue Jun 30 15:29:56 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 30 June 2009, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Mon, 29 Jun 2009 20:37:09 +0200,
> Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> >
> > Hi Takashi,
> >
> > I have a problem with snd-hda-intel from 2.6.30 on an hp EliteBook 6930p, which
> > is that the sound is not audible, although everything appears to work just
> > fine.  Except maybe that when the box is rebooted and KDE (3.5) is started,
> > the master control is "muted" and the led indicator next to the keyboard shows
> > "no sound".  Then, changing the "muted" status of the master control doesn't
> > change the state of the led indicator and vice versa (the two things appear to
> > be totally independent of each other).
> >
> > Can you please tell me what I can do to debug this issue?
>
> Could you run alsa-info.sh with --no-upload option on both "muted"
> and "not muted" states, and attach the generated files?

Sure.  In the meantime it turned out that after a power off and cold boot the
status of the master control is 'on', but the led indicator shows 'no sound', so
there are 5 outputs:
* alsa-info-postboot.txt - after power off and cold boot
* alsa-info-led.txt - led indicator switched to 'on' when it was in the
  alsa-info-postboot.txt state
Now I switched to AC power and rebooted the box without powering off:
* alsa-info-muted.txt - initial state with the 'muted' master control
* alsa-info-on.txt - master control switched to 'on' when it was in the
  alsa-info-muted.txt state
* alsa-info.txt - led indicator switched to 'on' when it was in the
  alsa-info-on.txt state

> If it's a regression (heh :), please give alsa-info.sh output on
> older kernels.

No, it's not a regression.  At least not from 2.6.27.

Thanks,
Rafael