[alsa-devel] warning "hda-intel: IRQ timing workaround is activated for card #0. Suggest a bigger bdl_pos_adj."

Simos Xenitellis simos.lists at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 29 16:01:12 CEST 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Takashi Iwai<tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
> At Mon, 29 Jun 2009 14:28:04 +0100,
> Simos Xenitellis wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am getting the above warning when trying to play audio files.
>>
>> Contrary to other similar cases with this warning, in my case the playback
>> of the media files fails. For every single media file, the playback
>> fails after a random
>> amount of time (a few seconds to a few minutes).
>
> You can disable it by setting bdl_pos_adj=0.

I just tried this and now the audio driver fails really quickly.
Within a few seconds of playback,
the playback fails.

>> I am running Ubuntu 9.04 (kernel 2.6.28-13-generic, x86_64, upgraded
>> to Alsa 1.0.20 using AlsaUpgrade,
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6589810).
>
> Is this with the latest alsa-driver-snapshot?
> I have no idea about Ubuntu...

I tried earlier the released Alsa 1.0.20, though the script has an
option to get the latest daily snapshot.
I have put the script on my github account at
http://github.com/simos/alsa-upgrade/
The script simply performs in an automated way the manual process of
retrieval, compilation
and installation of a newer version of Alsa.

While writing this e-mail, I just tried the '-snap' option that
downloads and installs
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/alsa-driver-snapshot.tar.gz

With the snapshop of Alsa, audio playback works fine. I did not get an
error during playback yet.
Thus, in my case, switching to Alsa snapshot fixes the problem.
Something between the release 1.0.20
and current snapshot has fixed the audio driver for my case.

Cheers,
Simos