[alsa-devel] PC speaker beeps in 2.6.30?

Kurt J. Bosch kjb-temp-2006 at gmx.de
Sun Jun 28 13:09:26 CEST 2009

On 2009-06-28 10:38, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Sat, 27 Jun 2009 23:39:08 -0700,
> Paul Vojta wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 09:36:42AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:

>>> Try 2.6.31-rc1.  There was a fix regarding beep frequency.
>>
>> Not necessarily.  Based on the OP's original post, as well as his mails
>> to the LKML (Google the subject line to find them), he has a desktop
>> system with external powered speakers connected to a sound card, and also
>> a small PC speaker inside the system case.  He wants to hear the beeps
>> coming out of the small speaker, since the external speakers (and/or sound
>> card) are not always turned on.
>
> To avoid someone misunderstanding: the beep routed through HD-audio
> can also go to the built-in speaker.  It's just mixed up with the
> normal audio output, and the volume is controlled via ALSA mixer
> volume element.
>
> But, once after it's hooked up to the codec, the beep can't be output
> separately to the speaker.  It's always with other audio signal to the
> same output target.
>
> Or, on some systems (mostly laptops), the beep is hooked up to the
> codec automatically no matter whether you set
> CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP once when the codec chip is initialized.
> So, the behavior depends pretty much on the hardware implementation.

I face the same problem as the OP since kernel 2.6.30 on ArchLinux on
a desktop machine. I was able to get beep working through the built in
speaker again by doing a 'modprobe -r pcspkr' followed by a
'modprobe pcspkr' after sysinit. It seems there is some kind of
struggle goinig on here between alsa and pcspkr. Isn't there any
kernel line or modules configuration option to disable the alsa pc-beep?