[alsa-devel] PC speaker beeps in 2.6.30?

Paul Vojta vojta at math.berkeley.edu
Sun Jun 28 08:39:08 CEST 2009

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 09:36:42AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:03:54 +0400,
> Michael Tokarev wrote:
> >
> > [Adding some more Cc's...]
> >
> > Am I the only concerned about this?  My 2.6.30 is still
> > silent w.r.t. old good PC speaker beeps, and I wasn't
> > able to make it to produce any sound.  Yes, as pointed
> > out by others there is a control now, in alsa, and I
> > can hear ugly and scary beeps from my stereo speakers
> > (when they're turned on and when the control is un-muted).
> > But that's.. not a solution/answer to the original
> > question... ;)
>
> Try 2.6.31-rc1.  There was a fix regarding beep frequency.

Not necessarily.  Based on the OP's original post, as well as his mails
to the LKML (Google the subject line to find them), he has a desktop
system with external powered speakers connected to a sound card, and also
a small PC speaker inside the system case.  He wants to hear the beeps
coming out of the small speaker, since the external speakers (and/or sound
card) are not always turned on.

For that, try turning off SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP.

(Regarding the beep frequency issue, the patch in 2.6.31-rc1 works for
all HDA codecs *EXCEPT* sigmatel/idt.  For sigmatel/idt, please see the
patch in bug #0004556.)

--Paul Vojta, vojta at math.berkeley.edu