[alsa-devel] LSB inclusion of ALSA

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Jun 17 10:16:21 CEST 2009

At Tue, 16 Jun 2009 13:59:45 +0200,
Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> Robert Schweikert wrote:
> > Currently ALSA is a trial use module for LSB
> > (http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/lsb) 4.0 and it
> > is the intention to make ALSA mandatory with the LSB 4.1 release
> > targeted for Q1 2010. One of the requirements of a mandatory module is
> > the existence of a test suite for the module that covers a good chunk of
> > the interfaces provided by the LSB spec. An initial exploratory look at
> > the existing test cases showed that tests appear to be tied to hardware
> > drivers and are interactive.
> >
> > Is this initial impression correct?
>
> Yes.
>
> > From an LSB testing perspective, interface testing is  very important;
> > i.e. I call the interface with the arguments required and I get the
> > expected result back.
>
> In the case of a hardware interface library like libasound, there is not
> always a result that comes back where it could by easily tested.
>
> While many parts of the library can be tested without special hardware
> (config, sequencer+MIDI, timers), the parts that are most likely to be
> used (PCM, mixer) require at least some kernel driver and contain many
> functions that are used to handle hardware differences.

True.  That's the very high hurdle that an automatic testing would
face.

> > 1.) Is there interest from the community side to participate in this
> > effort and accept patches?
>
> I'm just an individual and cannot speak for "the community", whatever
> that is, but there is certainly interest to accept patches.

Good to hear :)

> > 2.) Is it reasonable to expect that the existing tests can be used in
> > some way by using a dummy sound device or a sound loop device to verify
> > output?
>
> There is a loopback driver, but it is not part of the LSB specification.
> This means that a test using this driver would not work with any
> alternate ALSA implementation.

Yes, I mentioned about this in the last conf call with LSB guys.

Another candidate is alsa-lib file plugin (and null plugin).  They can
be used to simulate in a certain level of I/O.

> I can easily imagine LSB-compliant computers that do not have any sound
> card (e.g., most servers).  Even if the ALSA interface (i.e., libasound)
> is installed, some parts cannot be used in any meaningful way.  What is
> a test supposed to do in this case?  It could just exit with "pass",
> but this wouldn't actually _test_ much.

The test can never cover 100% all real cases.
So, the primary question is: what kind of test do we need.

From the LSB perspective, I suppose, the API compatibility is the
biggest issue.  The functionality, either working or not on the real
hardware, is a subsystem bug.  And, the subtle tests would be likely
needed done manually with the real hardware.

> (Hmmm, a dummy ALSA implementation that just returns -ENODEV when the
> application tries to open a device would be compliant, because it cannot
> be distinguished from the 'real' ALSA with no installed sound card.  :-)

You mean the dummy sound driver?

> > 3.) Would the community be more comfortable if this is an effort that
> > creates new tests separate from the existing HW focused tests?
>
> The current interactive tests are mostly intended to test drivers, not
> the interface.  I don't think it would be desirable or even possible to
> integrate them into a test suite with strict pass/fail requirements.

An automatic test would be hard, yes.  But, including "manual tests"
by human makes a lot sense.  For example, providing a set of WAV files
with different format, or giving a script to handle with sox, etc.

In my case, I've been testing like the following:

- Mixer adjustment via alsamixer
- Play with different format bits (8, 16, 24, 32, float), sample
  rates, and channels via aplay
- Play with different access methods (mmap, r/w) via aplay
- Speaker configuration tests via speaker-test
- Buffer size, period size tests via aplay
- Recording via arecord; this is really hard to automate right now...
- SPDIF AC3 output via ac3dec to a surround receiver
- SPDIF input recording by cabling to SPDIF input

So, most of them are real hardware tests...

> > 4.) Is anyone interested in helping with this effort, writing tests,
> > answering questions about ALSA for those not familiar with the interface
> > and or sound in general?
>
> Yes.
>
> Since most of libasound is somewhat undocumented (the doxygen reference
> is just a skeleton), I'm wondering who is going to write the tests ...

Heh, first response, first victim? :)

As mentioned, we need to focus on the definition of what kind of tests
at first.

thanks,