[alsa-devel] No jack sense on Intel 82801I / IDT 92HD71B7X in a HP dv4

Jean-Pierre André jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jun 13 12:32:31 CEST 2009

Hi,

> At Fri, 12 Jun 2009 15:01:09 -0300,
> Gustavo Maciel Dias Vieira wrote:

>> > Just tried now. The interrupts started flowing and, tada, jack sense
>> > works!
>> >
>> > Thanks, Takashi, that solves it for me. Is there a way to automate this
>> > in the driver for the other less technically inclined users?
>>

> Well, as I mentioned, it's basically a bug in the lower layer like
> ACPI or BIOS.  So, the best is to fix them.  Using MSI is a kind of
> workaround, and I'm wondering whether this is specific to your device
> or in general with other HP dv4, since I didn't hear of the similar
> bug reports.
>

> Takashi

Weird indeed. Actually I had already reported this
behaviour, see

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.devel/59809

So far I have not been able to get the interrupts at
IRQ22. They still occur at IRQ20. However the problem
is hidden when using boot options irqpoll or noapic.

This is not a hardware or bios problem, as the sound
is correct on Windows.

Initially I was using kernel 2.6.27 and alsa-driver 1.0.19,
currently using kernel 2.6.29 and alsa-driver 1.0.20 with
the same behaviour.

I have tried numerous modprobe options. Currently
I am using :

alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options sound slots=snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel model=hp-m4 enable_msi=1 bdl_pos_adj=32
probe_mask=0x1ff

As Gustavo seems to have succeeded, can he post
kernel and alsa-driver versions, boot parameters
and modprobe parameters ?

Thanks in advance

Jean-Pierre