[alsa-devel] Want to test a patch

Simos Xenitellis simos.lists at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 11 16:33:06 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Chris Schumann<chris.schumann at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I was hoping to get involved to fix als bug #305 and related ones, but
> I see Takashi Iwai has beaten me to it. Awesome.
>
> I'd like to test his patch of 5-27 for snd_cs46xx but I haven't done
> driver development before.
>
> How do I test out this patch on my hardware (ThinkPad 600X)?

Testing a patch is quite easy.

If you are an Ubuntu user, you can try the instructions at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto
and specifically the script mentioned in the section “Update to the
Latest Version of ALSA”.

With this script and the instructions from the wiki page,
1. you can install all required packages that are needed to compile
the latest Alsa
2. you can apply a new patch (you do this manually), recompile and
test without having to reboot.
3. you can revert to the previous state

The script downloads by default the following
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/alsa-driver-snapshot.tar.gz
I suppose this is the one you need with the latest version.

Good luck,
Simos
http://simos.info/blog/