[alsa-devel] Sound streaming application: which device to use?

Lex Wassenberg lex.wassenberg at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 11:42:47 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 4:42 AM, Lee Revell<rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Lex Wassenberg<lex.wassenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there nobody that can help me out on the questions above? I figured
>> the answer to question 4 (passing a pointer to an uninitialized
>> integer; I thought the integer was only used for reporting back, which
>> is not true), but all other questions still stand. Nobody??
>
> You don't provide enough info.  What soundcard?  What distro?  What is
> the output of  "aplay -v file.wav" when file.wav is the same audio
> format your app uses?
>
> Lee

The distro is OpenSuse 10.3 , the soundcard doesn't (or shouldn't)
matter: the application program knows nothing about the soundcard and
it doesn't want to either. It should just use that sound card that is
present on the machine where it runs. I thought that it would be ALSA
that takes care of the particularites of the underlying hardware.
That's why I programmed the device to be "default" or "plughw".

For the requested output of the aplay program I would first have to
find a wave file with the specific format.

Lex