[alsa-devel] HDA Intel IDT 92HD71B7X - HP Pavilion DV7-1299EF - Subwoofer not Working

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Jun 8 07:48:58 CEST 2009

At Sun, 7 Jun 2009 16:57:34 +0200,
Wael Nasreddine (a.k.a eMxyzptlk) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Last night I bought myself a new laptop, the HP Pavilion DV7-1299EF.
> This laptop has 2 frontal speakers and a subwoofer in the back, on
> Windows, when I play a sound the 3 speakers works perfectly, and since
> it has a subwoofer the spearkers hardly has any bass capabilities, On
> linux the subwoofer is not working, only the 2 speakers are, hence the
> sound doesn't have any bass and it's loud and annoying, very
> annoying...

Judging from your alsa-info.sh output, BIOS doesn't give any multiple
speaker configuration, so the driver cannot know it.

What you need is to figure out which pin corresponds to which I/O.
Try to adjust the codec routing and the pin / amp setup manually via
hda-verb or hda-analyzer.  Then try to give the default pin via sysfs
and call reconfigure to confirm that it can be detected.  See
$LINUX/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio.txt for details.

thanks,