[alsa-devel] No jack sense on Intel 82801I / IDT 92HD71B7X in a HP dv4

Gustavo Maciel Dias Vieira gustavo at sagui.org
Fri Jun 5 22:13:25 CEST 2009

Em Sex, 2009-06-05 às 21:40 +0200, Takashi Iwai escreveu:
> > However, this time I made an interesting observation. alsa-info does
> not
> > generate spurious events. It generates exactly the number of events
> that
> > should be generated before the execution of alsa-info. For example:
> if I
> > plug and unplug the HP and run alsa-info, two HP_EVENTs are
> generated.
> > This explains the three events I observed earlier (plug, unplug,
> plug,
> > alsa-info).
> >
> > It seems the events are getting "stuck" somewhere and alsa-info
> > "releases" them.
>
> Check /proc/interrupts whether you get an interrupt when you plug /
> unplug the jack.  I guess you don't get an interrupt there.  If so,
> then it's a problem of ACPI or BIOS.  If you get a proper interrupt
> but still no unsol event is passed, something wrong in the sound
> driver side.

I'm not sure what interrupt I should be monitoring, but the line with
"HDA Intel" always stays with 0 interrupts. Also, only timer, i915 and
rescheduling interrupts are generated.

Oh, boy. If this is so, what can I do now? If it is a BIOS problem, I
may try to file a bug report with HP, but as Vista works perfectly they
probably won't be interested. If it is a ACPI bug, what exactly should I
report to the Linux ACPI guys?

> BTW, I guess the similar effect could be achieved instead of alsa-info
> but by just changing the mixer volume once.  The unsol verbs were
> delivered, but they aren't fed until any sync operation is done.

Changing mixer levels wont release the events.

Abraços,
Gustavo