No subject

Fri Jul 31 19:24:53 CEST 2009

loaded into the library in question which does some alsa probing and
ultimately calls snd_config_update_free_global() several times. The
library itself then goes on to use GStreamer to do actual audio output.
The crash then manifests itself prior to any sound actually being output.

I can reliably reproduce the machine on two machines (I don't have many
at my disposal), but cannot reproduce on a third. The two I can
reproduce it on are two and four core intel duo's. The one I cannot
reproduce on is an older, single core machine. I am leaning towards some
kind of thread safety issue.

In searching for similar problems, I found several references to similar
crashes attributed to snd_dlobj_cache_cleanup() perhaps not being thread

(and from that:

I've found that removing the calls to
snd_config_update_free_global() avoid the issue. I'm not even sure they
are needed, but all the same I wanted to discuss the core issue.

The MEMORY-LEAK file suggests that it should only be called after all
snd_*_open() calls, but it doesn't indicate if this is just a
recommendation or mandatory.  Is the *only* purpose of this call to make
valgrind happy? Or does it serve some other useful purpose too?

Colin Guthrie

Day Job:
  Tribalogic Limited []
Open Source: