[alsa-devel] Testers wanted: New SB X-Fi driver

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Jul 29 08:37:53 CEST 2009

[Please don't do top-posting]

At Tue, 28 Jul 2009 14:50:10 -0500,
Ted T. Logan wrote:

> Just got the latest as of today,
>
> click
>
> :(
> mplayer yesterday.mp3

For testing this kind of problem, use aplay and try different
--period-size and --buffer-size options.  mplayer isn't suitable for
primary testing.

If the click period doesn't change regardless of the period size
option value, it implies that the noise doesn't come from the buffer
set up but rather from other routes.  If the noise period changes with
different period size options, the click noise is a buffer setup
issue.

In addition, it'd be better to use aplay with -Dplughw to avoid the
automatic routing to PA.

Also, your description was unclear.  It it only click without other
tone, or repeated sound, or the click noise appear on the normal
playback, or what?  The repeated sound bug with emu20k2 (it didn't
appear with emu20k1) was fixed as I mentioned.  But, if it's click
noise on the normal playback, then I don't know.  Better to ask
Creative guys...

thanks,