[alsa-devel] Support for ALC662 on FUJITSU SIEMENS AMILO Li3710

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Jul 27 08:14:25 CEST 2009

At Sun, 26 Jul 2009 19:39:28 +0200,
Mads Kiilerich wrote:

> Takashi Iwai wrote, On 07/26/2009 10:50 AM:
> > At Sun, 26 Jul 2009 00:54:24 +0200,
> > Mads Kiilerich wrote:
> >
> >> On a friends FUJITSU SIEMENS AMILO Li3710 10601011427 sound didn't work
> >> with kernel-PAE-2.6.29.6-213.fc11.i686
> >>
> > How about with the latest alsa-driver snapshot?
> >      ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/alsa-driver-snapshot.tar.gz
> >

> Thanks.
>
> I looked at your sound-2.6.git tree and found no quirk for this card
> (AFAICS) and assumed that it hadn't been reported and fixed yet.

When no quirk is set, the automatic mode is used as default.
And, it's possible that the automatic mode has been fixed in the
upstream.  That's why I asked to test with the latest one.
We should avoid any device-specific quirk as much as possible, but
rather fix the automatic parser.

> assume that that tree is pretty close to alsa-driver-snapshot?

Yes.  The alsa-driver-snapshot tarball is created from GIT tree.

> I am a developer, but for alsa I am a user, no expert, and honestly I
> don't plan to become one. Can you give a pointer to a description of how
> can I test the snapshot? On Fedora 11?
>
> (http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page has a "How do I
> install the ALSA driver from source" link, but it just points to the
> download page without any explanation.)

Did you take a look at INSTALL file in alsa-driver?
You can try sound git tree instead of that tarball, too, if you are
building your kernel from a GIT tree by yourself.

> > Also, please give alsa-info.sh output.  Run with --no-upload and attach
> > the generated file.
> >

> I became aware of that command after having visited my friend. I have
> output of dmesg and  lshal and lspci - is that sufficient?

No.

thanks,