[alsa-devel] Microphone bias

Tony Vroon tony at vroon.org
Mon Jul 13 12:55:42 CEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 09:50 +0100, Daniel Drake wrote:
> We have a choice of 50% or 80% microphone bias on the 2 microphone ports
> (one inbuilt, one socket for external devices). Any suggestions on which
> one we should pick or how to decide?

For the external devices, it tends to depend on the headset. I would
suggest going to eBay or a random computer shop and getting a few
different ones. Some may require 80% to produce a usable signal,
particularly the cheaper ones.

> We can't hear any difference between the 2 settings..should we choose
> 50% for potential power savings?

If your internal mic works fine on 50% bias I would keep it there, yes.

> Daniel

Regards,
Tony V.