[alsa-devel] [LAD] implementing audio device driver on embedded platforms

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Tue Jul 7 12:48:04 CEST 2009

Jugalkishore Darak, Pankaj wrote:
> We are porting Linux 2.6.25.4 to a platform which has ARM11 as its core
> processor. My job is to implement audio device driver.

Then you'd better ask on alsa-devel (CC'd).

> Most of the docs are meant for PC audio which has sound cards on PCI.
> And the source code resides in sound folder under the kernel root.
>
> Since mine is an embedded platform, where will my architecture specific
> code resides?

Any platform-specific code will be below your arch/ directory.
The DMA controller and the codecs are likely to be used on other
platforms too, so they'd go into sound/.

> Which all folders under sound folder will be used for embedded devices

mostly soc/

> and which APIs to look into?

linux/Documentation/sound/alsa/soc/*.txt
http://alsa-project.org/main/index.php/ASoC
http://opensource.wolfsonmicro.com/content/asoc-audio-embedded-linux-systems

HTH
Clemens