[alsa-devel] Help required with debugging

Harsha, Priya priya.harsha at intel.com
Sat Jul 4 15:52:21 CEST 2009

Thanks a lot. Setting the runtime->hw.info = SNDRV_PCM_INFO_BATCH in the ops->prepare(), helps getting past the issue. Its true that the hardware is doing a batch transfer of period_size into the dma_buffer of ALSA.

>But it's rather a workaround than a proper fix, because timestamps are
>updated but the ring buffer position is not moved (which brokes the idea
>to have a relation between the ring buffer position and the real-time
>clock).
Actually the firmware does not update the timestamp till the period size is reached, i.e., the firmware increments the timestamp with period_size and transfers the same to the dma_buffer.

>I think that this sort of drivers might require to implement the
>SNDRV_PCM_POS_KEEP return value in case when position does not change from
>last read to notify midlevel PCM code that they're not able to handle fine
>pointer resolution.
I don't find this return value in the ALSA code, can you help me with more details of what needs to be returned and where.

>Also, hardware with large FIFOs should update properly runtime->delay
>value now.
I am not finding a field called delay in runtime structure. Where can I find it...and is there a documentation/comment on what this value needs to hold?