[alsa-devel] RFC: Jack-detection control elements on HD-audio

pl bossart bossart.nospam at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 00:27:52 CEST 2009

Takashi,
I looked at your code for jack sensing and I am really confused on how
these evolutions will be used.
It seems to me these additions with the new control apply only to the
HDAudio case. Meaning if Lennart modifies PulseAudio to read the jack
sensing information from the new control, Lennart's code will not work
on embedded platforms which rely on ASoC and plain snd_jack_report /
input layer (or any non-HDAudio based solution for that matter), and
we don't have a generic way to providing the jack information to
PulseAudio.
I had a private discussion with Mark where he stated that ASoC would
not change, and would automatically benefit from this additional
control. That does not seem to be the case.
Either I am missing something (not an unlikely scenario, I am
light-years from my comfort zone here) or everyone is on a different
wavelength.
Thanks for your feedback,
Cheers
- Pierre