[alsa-devel] No sound with nVidia Corporation MCP79 High Definition Audio (rev b1) (Macbook Pro 5, 5)

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu Jul 2 11:45:30 CEST 2009

At Wed, 1 Jul 2009 17:00:42 +0200,
Andreas Nüßlein wrote:

> so i tried to find some information in OS X and after a while i stumbled upon a
> document "Info.plist", to which i was pointed by OS X's build-in hardware
> info-utility, somehwere in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/....
>
> http://nopaste.org/p/aRCCwdDXqb
>
> also some information right out of the apple tool, eventhough i don't think
> that it's worth anything:
> Intel High Definition Audio:
>   Device ID:    0x10DECB79

This is likely a different chip.

> On Tuesday 30 June 2009 07:58:17 Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Mon, 29 Jun 2009 16:04:06 -0600,
> >
> > Sean Burke wrote:
> > > A quick google shows that the vendor ID is Cirrus Logic. The Boot Camp
> > > driver set does include installers for Cirrus audio cards. I don't have
> > > Windows installed on here, so I can't check to see if it is indeed the
> > > Cirrus drivers that get installed. What can be done to facilitate the
> > > implementation of this codec?
> >
> > I guess it's CS4206 codec.  CS4207 has a different id.
>
> out of the Info.plist:
> <string>Cirrus Logic CS4206</string>
> <key>CodecID</key>

And that's it.

> so again: if i can, i'd love to help.

I created the support for for Cirrus Logic chips (cs420x only).
It's included in sound-unstable tree.  Grab the alsa-driver-unstable
snapshot from
  ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/alsa-driver-unstable-snapshot.tar.gz

Let me know if it works or not.

Also, prepare to install hda-verb program.  I'd like to confirm the
behavior of the codec, and I'll ask it later once after the driver
works somehow.

thanks,