[alsa-devel] laptop multichannel ethernet OR PCMCIA sound cards

flaxma at nal.gov.au flaxma at nal.gov.au
Thu Jul 2 00:18:16 CEST 2009

HI, yes

A little more background ... we are implementing research algorithms for
hearing aids ... so ... we have many mic inputs and stereo output ...

we want a digital interface to the laptop.

Need 6 analog inputs
Need 2 analog outputs

Need minimal latency both in and out as it is a collect/process/output
system.

Sample rates anything between 22050 Hz and 48 kHz is good at this point.

At the moment we can get about 3 ms with an off the shelf firewire/usb card
 @ 48 kHz, however when we load the CPU with DSP algorithms, we sometimes
need to bump up the frame size and thus the latency goes up ...
We are running a realtime patched kernel.

I have found that there is about 2/3 of the latency in hardware buffers.

So we are still open to better USB/Firewire hardware, however would prefer
more bandwidth and hopefully less latency to the device. This is why I
asked about ethernet and possible PCMCIA.

Matt