[alsa-devel] [Fwd: HP DV4 1155 SE - No Sound through speakers...]

Jean-Pierre André jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jan 31 08:52:19 CET 2009

Hi,

> Hi all, I have an HP DV4 1155-SE, I've been unable to get sound working
> through the speakers, although it does work through the headhpones. I ran
> alsa-.upgrade which downloaded compiled, and installed 1.0.19 - still no
> luck.

I have the same IDT codec 92HD71B7X on another
HP DV4 model, and I have tracked the problem to be
the kernel configuring IRQ 22 through the APIC, but
interrupts triggerring IRQ 20 (on kernel 2.6.27 and
alsa 1.0.19). It would be interesting if you could
confirm this by analyzing /proc/interrupts.

The workarounds I know of are :
- adding irqpoll to the boot options,
- or adding noapic to the boot options,
- using mplayer to play music.

There are with option "snd-hda-intel model=hp-m4"
(this option is for HP DV5/DV7, but HP DV4
is probably different)

I have not enough knowledge to tell where the problem
lies : kernel, apic, alsa.

Regards

Jean-Pierre