[alsa-devel] Creative X-Fi USB 5.1 Driver

Mandar Joshi emailmandar at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 30 06:30:28 CET 2009

Hello,
   I walked through the code for snd-usb-audio and have a fair idea about the structure of the driver. I also
went through the "writing-an-alsa-driver" article on http://www.alsa-project.org
   Here is the stuff I've done so far http://mndar.phpnet.us/usbxfi/ .The link contains the "lsusb -v" output for the Creative USB X-Fi 5.1 .
The xfi-0.0.0.0.tar.bz2 has the basic structure of an alsa driver (copied from the caiaq usb driver). It presently just loads the module when the card is connected.
Output in /var/log/messages
Jan 30 10:46:29 mandar Found Creative USB X-Fi 5.1!!
Jan 30 10:46:29 mandar 0 041e:3042
Jan 30 10:46:29 mandar Found Creative USB X-Fi 5.1!!
Jan 30 10:46:29 mandar 0 041e:3042
Jan 30 10:46:29 mandar Found Creative USB X-Fi 5.1!!
Jan 30 10:46:29 mandar 0 041e:3042
Jan 30 10:46:29 mandar usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-xfi
As you can see, the probe is being called 3 times. Can someone please go through the source and let me know if I'm headed in the right direction?
I'm a newbie to alsa driver development and would really appreciate any input from you guys.
Also, please have a look the creative.txt file in the link. Its the 'lsusb -v' output for the card. How exactly do I interpret and use this information?

Regards
Mandar Joshi