[alsa-devel] Dell Latitude D830 internal speaker volume degraded on 2.6.29-rc*

Ben Gamari bgamari at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 02:04:07 CET 2009

Hey all,

For quite a while now, the internal speaker volume on my Dell Latitude
D830 has been very soft. While usually the case can be made to
resonate with all mixers at 100%, recently I have noticed a
substantial decrease in output.

Figuring this must be caused by a codec mis-configuration, I booted
into a working kernel 2.6.27.9-134.fc10.x86_64 and collected a dump
from /proc/asound/card0/codec#0. After booting back into my own
vanilla kernel from master, I collected another trace. When I was
looking through the diff -u of the two dumps, one particular
difference seemed notable,

 Node 0x11 [Audio Output] wcaps 0xd0c05: Stereo Amp-Out R/L
   Amp-Out caps: N/A
-  Amp-Out vals:  [0x7f 0x7f]
-  Converter: stream=5, channel=0
+  Amp-Out vals:  [0xff 0xff]
+  Converter: stream=0, channel=0
   Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
   Delay: 13 samples

Perhaps this is significant? Regardless, I have attached both of the
original dumps. Let me know if anything else is needed. Thanks,

- Ben